Destiny Discover-Library Catalog
Want to explore your school's library catalog? Renew a library book? Download the Destiny Discover App to your phone or eReader? Or simply find out what a student owes before registration or at the end of the year? The how to guides below will help you learn how to utilize the various Destiny library catalog features:
Online Research Databases
California K-12 Digital Resources
Online content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, ProQuest research databases, and TeachingBooks.net are available — at school, at home, in libraries, on laptops, on phones — to all students, staff and stakeholders. The databases listed below can be integrated with Google Tools. Passwords are not required on campus but if any of the databases ask for passwords, refer to this list below:
These three databases are provided for all California students from the California State Library.
Encyclopedia Britannica (PreK-12)
Britannica School is the go-to site for learning more about any subject for all grades and all reading abilities, offering thousands of up-to-date, curated, and curriculum-relevant articles, images, videos, audio clips, primary sources, maps, research tools, recommended websites, and three databases—Elementary, Middle, or High.
Escolar is the leading knowledge-building resource that is universally trusted for accurate and age-appropriate content in Spanish.
One-stop resources for books you are reading and teaching, including author and illustrator interviews, lesson plans, and other enrichment content. Resources included for teachers are book guides, lesson plans, meet the author movies, literature based vocabulary lists, finding diverse book titles, and creating book lists for students and parents.
ProQuest (Grades 3-12)
- CultureGrams - Concise social, cultural, and political information on countries, U.S. states, and provinces around the world. (Grades 3-12)
- SIRS Discoverer - A general reference database providing safe, reliable, curriculum-aligned content and features for use by students and educators. (Grades 3-9)
- SIRS Issues Researcher - Pros and cons on 360+ (and growing) complex social issues with relevant, credible information that tells the whole story on the major questions of the day. (Grades 6+)
- eLibrary - Guided Research edition delivers one of the largest general reference collections of periodical and digital media content including more than 11,000 Research Topics. (Grades 6+)
- eLibrary - Database Edition General reference aggregation of periodical and digital media content with editorial guidance for novice researchers. (Grades 6+)
- ProQuest Central Student - designed to bring instant results to users across thousands of journals, magazines, newspapers, videos, reports, and more. This resource brings together some of ProQuest's most used databases in education, humanities, psychology, science, social sciences, and news. (Grades 9+, IB, AP, College Prep)
- ProQuest Research Companion - a self-guided product that supports information literacy, writing, and research skills instruction. (Grades 8+)
- Schools & Educators Complete - eBook subscription database of over 13,000 titles that supports English Language Arts, Science, Math, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, Information Literacy and Technology. (Grades 9+, possibly some content for Middle School, also includes professional development content for faculty)
- Teacher Resources - Overview of ProQuest resources and various guides for classroom resources.
OCEANSIDE PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Oceanside Public Library offers many exciting services to the Community, especially to their stakeholders.
- Bestsellers, DVDs, CDs, audio books, eBooks, and Children's eBooks all available for check-out
- Public computers with internet access at all locations and wi-fi available throughout both branches
- Printing, faxing, scanning and copying services available
- Private study rooms
- Special collections containing local and State history, and world languages
- A dedicated area just for teens
- Programs for all ages, including author talks, concerts, cultural celebrations and much more.
WHY USE AN ONLINE DATABASE FOR RESEARCH?
Why should you use an online database instead of just Google? This video by a student from Yavapai Community College for a great answer.