BEFORE THE BEGINNING OF KINDERGARTEN YOUR CHILD SHOULD BE ABLE TO:
· Use the correct grasp when holding a pencil, marker, crayon, etc.
· Independently and correctly write his/her first name using both upper and lowercase letters.
· Independently draw recognizable pictures and then explain to you their drawing.
· To help your child with fine motor skills have them play with playdoh, LEGOS, build puzzles, put beads on a string, play the game OPERATION, use tweezers to pick up items in a bowl, etc. If you need more ideas a simple google/Pinterest search of “fine motor activities” will give you a wealth of knowledge.
· Correct your child’s pencil grasp when he/she is using any type of writing tool. Your child should be holding a writing tool like the static tripod grip pictured below.